Position title: Ph.D. Student
3605 Engineering Hall
I received my BSc in Electronics and Computer Engineering from Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Vietnam. I obtained my MSc in Computer Science from Soongsil University, South Korea. Currently, I am pursuing a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering at UW-Madison.
- University of Wisconsin–Madison
PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering
September 2021 – Present
- Soongsil University
Master of Science in Computer Science
March 2019 – December 2020
- Hanoi University of Science and Technology
Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Computer Engineering
September 2012 – February 2018
- Low-power embedded systems
- Hien Vu, Donghwa Shin, Simultaneous internal heating for balanced temperature and state-of-charge distribution in lithium-ion battery packs,
Journal of Energy Storage, 2023 [Link]
- NA Nguyen, H Vu, M Pedram, D Shin, An Attachable Battery–Supercapacitor Hybrid for Large Pulsed Load,
IEEE Design & Test, 2022 [Link]
- Hien Vu and Donghwa Shin, Scheduled Pre-heating of Li-ion Battery Packs for Balanced Temperature and State-ofcharge Distribution,
Energies MDPI 2020 [Link]
- Hien Vu, Nhan Tran, Loan Pham-Nguyen and Huy-Dung Han, LQG Regulator for Control Moment Gyroscope based Balancing System,
IEEE ICCE 2018 [Link]
- CPS: Medium: Mitigating heat stress in dairy cattle (on-going): Design and implement a cyber-physical system (CPS) that drastically reduces heat stress in dairy cattle with optimal energy and water efficiency.
- Conformal Wearable Battery – Hybrid Electrical Energy Storage Systems: Developed a high energy supercapacitor-based power system for military applications, under collaboration. Integrated all of the components from an elaborate test bench into a portable and flexible-form prototype which has demonstrated a high performance and reliability. Developed an advanced control algorithm that allows a buck converter to work as a bi-directional buck-boost converter that keeps the system running continuously without interruption during state transition.
- Pre-heating for Li-ion Battery Pack: Investigated a scheduled pre-heating technique for Li-ion battery by creating a system model on MATLAB for heat transfer and electrical energy balance processes. Created a pre-heating algorithm for lithium battery pack working in cold environment, allowing balancing both cell temperature and SOC without requiring precise characterization for the batteries.
- Optimization for Power Loss Protection in Solid State Drives: Implemented high-speed design for a customized storage device consists of an FPGA controller managing 512GB storage of NAND flash ICs. Ensuring signal integrity for impedance matching and propagation delay throughout the device. Developed a dynamic voltage-scaling power backup system to extend the lifespan of capacitors in SSDs.
- Holographic Processing Unit: Implemented the Extended Kalman filter (EKF) on various embedded platforms to process data from a 9-DOF Inertial Measurement Unit combining with Parallel Tracking and Mapping (PTAM) for motion estimation in AR applications.
- Research Assistant at WISEST Lab, UW-Madison
September 2021 – Present
- Research Assistant at Energy-Aware Computing Lab, Soongsil University, South Korea
March 2019 – August 2021
- Research Student at Signal Processing and Radio Communication (SPARC) Lab, Hanoi, Vietnam
June 2015 – August 2018
- DAC2021 Young Fellowship -2021
- Teaching Assistant – ECE 315 Introduction to Microprocessor Lab (UW–Madison) –Fall 2021 & Spring 2022
- Teaching Assistant – ECE 210 Introduction in Electrical Engineering (UW–Madison) –Fall 2021